A quintessential American recipe of baked Apple Pie, the ideal Thanksgiving centrepiece or dinner party showstopper. As the apple pie bakes your home is filled with a festive perfume of apple, cinnamon and freshly baked pastry. Using a few basic ingredients this recipe is sure to impress, combining tender spiced apple, flaky pastry and a rich caramel which forms whilst baking. Allow more time to enjoy Thanksgiving day by baking the pie base or the whole pie the day before then reheat in the oven for 15 minutes before serving, best served warm with custard or whipped cream.
Bring together your loved ones this November with a taste of our traditionally irresistible apple pie.
8x8 Pie tin
Kitchenstar Pizza Cutter
Prep - 30 mins (plus 1 hour to chill)
Cook - 1 hour 30 mins
•6 apple (best varieties are braeburn, pink lady or granny smith)
•1 cup caster sugar
•2 tsp ground cinnamon
•1 tsp vanilla essence
•½ tsp salt
•1 tbsp cornflour
•1 tbsp unsalted butter, room temperature
•500g shortcrust pastry, room temperature
•1 tbsp plain flour
•1 spray spray oil
•1 egg, lightly beaten
1. Divide the pastry in half then lightly dust a work surface with plain flour. Take one half of the pastry and roll out, the pastry should be ½-inch thick and slightly larger than the pie tin.
2. Lightly grease the pie tin with spray oil then transfer the shortcrust pastry to the tin. Press the pastry into the sides and trim the excess overhanging pastry, leaving 1-inch over to allow for the pastry to shrink.
3. Cover the pastry with clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
4. Preheat an oven to 390F.
5. While the pastry rests prepare the apples. Peel the skins from the apples then slice into quarters. Remove the apple core then thinly slice into ¼-inch thick pieces.
6. Transfer the apples to a mixing bowl then add the sugar, cinnamon, vanilla and salt. Toss to coat the apples well then set aside for 1 hour.
7. Remove the pie tin from the refrigerator and line with parchment paper then fill with baking beads.
8. Transfer the pie tin to the oven and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes remove the baking beans and cook for a further 10 minutes.
9. Remove the baked pie base from the oven and allow to cool.
10. Roll out the remaining shortcrust pastry to 1-inch thickness then slice strips using the Kitchenstar pizza cutter, set aside.
11. Into the mixing bowl of apples add the cornflour and toss to combine. Then fill the baked pie base with the sliced apples and pour in the liquid from the base of the bowl.
12. Top the pie with the shortcrust pastry slices to form a lattice then brush with the beaten egg.
13. Transfer the apple pie to the preheated oven and bake for 1 hour.
14. Remove the apple pie from the oven and allow to cool. Then slice into 8 and serve with custard or whipped cream.