A rich savory French egg tart filled with your choice of filling. In this recipe we have used leek, spinach, cheese and red pepper for a healthy variety of delicious ingredients. Quiche can be filled with any variety of ingredients including meats, cheese, fish or vegetables - the toppings are endless!
Encased in a flaky short crust and baked until soft and creamy, serve hot or cold as a guaranteed winner for the whole family.
9”x9” tart tin
Prep: 20 minutes
Chill: 30 minutes
Cook: 1 hour 10 minutes
• 400g shortcrust pastry
• 1 tbsp unsalted butter
• 3 leek, thinly sliced
• 250g spinach
• 4eggs, lightly beaten
• 200g cheddar cheese, grated
• 100g parmesan cheese, grated
• 250ml double cream
• 200ml milk
• 1red pepper, roasted and sliced into thin strips
• black pepper, to taste
1. Preheat an oven to 180C and grease a tart tin.
2. Roll the shortcrust pastry to 2cm thick and lay the pastry into the tart tin, press into sides of the tin. Cover the pastry with clingfilm and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Place a medium saucepan on a high gest, add the unsalted butter, leek and salt. Cover the saucepan and cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Stir the spinach into the saucepan and cook for 2 minutes. Strain the cooked leek and spinach into a mixing bowl to remove the excess moisture.
5. Remove the shortcrust pastry from the refrigerator and line with baking beans. Place the pastry in the preheated oven and blind bake for 15 minutes.
6. Then remove the baking beans and bake for a further 8 minutes.
7. In a mixing bowl whisk together the eggs, grated cheddar, grated parmesan, double cream, milk, cooked leek and spinach, black pepper and salt.
8. Pour the egg mixture into the baked quiche tart. Lay the thinly sliced red peppers across the top from the centre to the edge.
9. Transfer the red pepper quiche to the oven and bake for 40 minutes until set.
10. Remove the quiche from the oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes, release the red pepper quiche from the tart tin and serve.