A super moist coffee cake with a delicately flavoured sponge which is topped with a thick coffee buttercream and crunchy walnuts. This dessert is ideal for serving at afternoon tea or as a sophisticated after-dinner treat.
Adjust the intensity of coffee flavouring by adding more or less espresso, the current recipe has a light subtlety present in both the cake and buttercream. Whip up our coffee cake recipe with absolute ease, follow the guide below.
8 - 10 slices
Preparation : 20 minutes
Cooking : 1 hour
Total : 1 hour 20 minutes
Kitchenstar Pizza Cutter
● 175g unsalted butter, room-temperature
● 175g caster sugar
● 50ml strong espresso coffee
● 200g self-raising flour
● 60g unsalted butter, room-temperature
● 100g icing sugar
● 25ml strong espresso coffee
● 25g walnuts, roughly chopped (optional)
1. Preheat an oven to 160C and grease a loaf tin then line with parchment paper.
2. Into a mixing bowl add the butter and caster sugar, cream together until thick and pale.
3. Add the eggs to the mixing bowl, one at a time, stirring to bring the ingredients together.
4. Pour the strong espresso coffee into the bowl then add the self-raising flour, fold to create a thick uniform batter.
5. Transfer the coffee cake batter to the lined loaf tin and spread down smoothly.
6. Place the coffee cake tin into the preheated oven for 1 hour.
7. Remove the coffee cake from the oven and let it cool in the tin for 15 minutes, then tip out and cool on a wire rack.
8. While the coffee cake cools, prepare the buttercream icing. In a mixing bowl add the softened butter and icing sugar, whisk together until light and pale. Then stir in the espresso coffee.
9. Once the coffee cake has cooled spread the buttercream over the top of the loaf and scatter with chopped walnuts.
10. Slice the coffee cake using the Kitchenstar Pizza Cutter and serve.