Chicago-style deep dish pizza with oozing melted cheese, spiced Italian salami and a rich tomato sauce. Baked in a cast iron pan to create a thick buttery crust with generous thick layers of multiple cheeses, fill with your favourite toppings such as jalapenos, anchovies, olives or cured meats!
12” Cast iron pan
Kitchenstar Pizza Cutter
Prep: 30 mins
1st Proof: 90 mins
2nd Proof: 20 mins
Cook: 30 mins
•2 tsp dry yeast
•1 tsp sugar
•240ml water, room-temperature
•350g plain flour
•100g fine cornmeal
•1 tsp salt
•60ml vegetable oil
•spray oil for greasing
•1 tbsp vegetable oil
•1 red onion, roughly chopped
•3 clove garlic, finely sliced
•1 tbsp tomato paste
•800g tinned chopped tomato
•1 tsp chilli flakes
•1 tbsp sugar
•1 tsp red wine vinegar
•salt, to taste
•black pepper, to taste
•200g italian salami, thinly sliced (optional)
•500g mozzarella, sliced
•250g edam, sliced
•25g parmesan, grated
1. In a jug add the yeast, sugar and room temperature water, stir to combine and allow the yeast to activate for 10 minutes. Once the surface of the water is bubbling the yeast is ready to use.
2. In a mixing bowl add the flour, cornmeal and salt, mix well. Pour the bowl of yeast, water, sugar and vegetable oil into the mixing bowl and bring together.
3. Turn the pizza dough out on a work surface and knead until the dough becomes smooth and elastic, approximately 10 minutes.
4. Place the dough into a clean mixing bowl and cover with clingfilm, allow the dough to proof for 90 minutes until doubled in size.
1. Place a medium saucepan on medium heat and add the vegetable oil.
2. Add the red onion to the saucepan and sweat for 5 minutes.
3. Then add the garlic and tomato paste, cook out for 1 minute.
4. Pour in the tomatoes and chilli flakes, bring the sauce to a simmer.
5. Simmer for 20 minutes then season with sugar, red wine vinegar, salt and black pepper.
6. Remove the pizza sauce from the stove and allow it to cool.
1. Once the dough has doubled in size grease a cast iron pan with spray oil.
2. Transfer the pizza dough to the pan and stretch to the size to fit the pan.
3. Cover the cast iron pan with clingfilm and allow it to proof for 20 minutes.
4. Preheat an oven to 220C.
5. Stretch the dough up the sides of the pan then begin to fill with toppings.
6. On the base add a layer of sliced Italian salami then top with a layer of sliced mozzarella and sliced edam.
7. Pour the tomato sauce over the top then cover with grated parmesan cheese.
8. Bake the deep dish pizza for 30 minutes in the preheated oven.
9. Remove from the oven and allow it to stand for 10 minutes.
10. Cut the pizza into slices using the KitchenStar pizza cutter.